Who We Are As Growing Christians (cont'd)
We IMPACT the World
Simply put, we are co-laborers with God to IMPACT His world by demonstrating His Kingdom and inviting others to join it.
This is in our blood; it's who we've been from the founding of our church 70 years ago (Easter of 1946) by four visionary women. They lamented the fact there wasn't a church in Solana Beach. So they circulated a letter among their neighbors with a dream of "establishing a church for our community." From its birth, SBPC has looked outward believing that Jesus blesses us so that we might be a blessing to the whole world, starting here at home and extending around the globe. Like Jesus, we give our lives away for the life of the world.
We do that personally. Our life together demonstrates the kingdom of God: how we worship, experience authentic relationships, and use our gifts to serve and grow in Christ's likeness. Where our life together connects with the world is mission. We invite others to join us as we follow Jesus. Each of us is sent with the gifts God has given us into the places where we work, live and play, to serve others, contribute to the flourishing of our world, share our own faith stories and pray for those who don't know Christ to follow him.
We do that through long term partnerships. We're not the great hope from America, fixing the problems of needy people near and far. We do follow the Lord's leading in linking up with talented people who dream about a better life. We motivate our talented people to go with Jesus into the world to live out His saving love in word and deed. We do that locally and internationally.
Local Partnerships - a sampling
- Almost 30 years ago, we started a tutoring program for Hispanic children with three eager kids and two devoted adults. Casa de Amistad has grown. Today over 250 kids, K-12, come twice a week to meet with over 200 tutors. www.casadeamistad.org
- About 15 years, ago we got excited about a new college prep ministry among Hispanic teens downtown. It's called Reality Changers. We started a chapter at SBPC, which now tutors over 40 students and preps them for their SAT tests, college applications, and scholarship apps. This past year, RC graduated 250 kids who earned over $20 million in scholarships. www.realitychangers.org
- Community Serve Day is a highlight. One Sunday each year we turn our worship services into a day of community service, sending out over 1500 of us, younger and older, to serve in over 90 projects, from lagoons to public schools. We have a ball! Check it out!
- We also fund and mobilize volunteers for the San Diego Rescue Mission (www.sdrescue.org), Presbyterian Urban Ministry (www.pumsd.org), and St. Leo's Medical Clinic (more info).
Global Partnerships - a sampling
- For 17 years we've served a tribe of Muslim nomads in Ethiopia, building schools, health clinics, water wells, demonstration farms, and sending a team to visit annually.
- For 5 years we've served at a youth camp in Hungary, sending a team annually to teach English and coach sports.
- For 10 years we've sent hundreds of eager servants to Tijuana/Rosarito to build over 150 homes with hope filled Mexican families. Come Build Hope happens over Memorial Day weekend thanks to our partnership with Amor Ministries (www.amor.org). Find out more.
- For decades, we've supported, in prayer and funding, almost one dozen missionaries on five continents. They are planting churches, composing Gospels songs for Hindus, teaching community health, training the next generation of missionaries, and translating the Bible.
Jesus saves us and sends us, and so we at SBPC are on the go with the Gospel. Please join us for the adventure!
Find out more about Groups We Support.
Let's review. Who are we at SBPC? We worship God individually and collectively; we live in God's Word individually and collectively; we pray individually and collectively; we discover our purpose and passion as individuals and as a Body. Is there a pattern here? We are a large church. It's easy to remain invisible and anonymous. But we hope that won't be the case for you. We hope you will grow deep roots and bear much fruit as you connect with the Body of Christ in our SBPC church family.